From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carlucci, April
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2001 11:11:19 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 15:31:58 +0100
From: "Carlucci, April" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: RE: Removing commercial map covers <fwd>
Sender: "Carlucci, April" <[log in to unmask]>

Hello

Despite the very helpful and technical response supplied by the conservator
at the Indiana Historical Society Library, my advice would be not to try
this sort of thing yourself. Anything that involves bringing water and paper
into close proximity requires training---perhaps I was too well trained by
conservators I worked with at Rutgers University Library and New York Public
Library! You will need to consider the archival value of the maps you are
trying to remove from their covers, and how long you want to keep them, in
addition to the difficulty in removing the covers without water (in other
words, can you pull the covers off without damaging the paper--sometimes you
can but sometimes you can't). Certainly the preferred method of storage for
any large piece of paper is unfolded and flat, but you have to judge this
against the difficulty and potential damage of getting it flat to begin
with. The alternative is to store them folded on a shelf, perhaps inside an
archivally-sound enclosure made of stiff paper to keep them from being
damaged during shelving. These are also available from the usual
conservation supply catalogs.

April Carlucci
British Library Map Library