Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2006 13:20:41 -0600
Subject:        Re: MAPS-L: Sheets from the 1:250,000 geological series of
South Africa?
Date:   Mon, 04 Dec 2006 14:05:53 -0500
From:   Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Ilene,

Thanks to our online index maps for this series I quickly discovered
that we (PSU) do have both of these sheets, and I've notified our
librarians at the Earth & Mineral Sciences Library to follow up on this
with you. So, stay tuned.

Just to be helpful, PSU's EMS Library created online indexes to a few
map series/sets at least a couple of years ago. Here's a link to the EMS
Library's webpage where down in the righthand corner in the "Digital
Collections" list you will see a link titled "Index Maps (for EMSL Maps)
http://www.libraries.psu.edu/emsl/. Click on that and you will get a
list of index maps we have created for about 10 countries, including the
South Africa 1:250,000 series. This particular one is unique as due to
the number of sheets involved we did an opening index map broken into
four parts,
http://www.libraries.psu.edu/emsl/indexmaps/southafrica250.html, just
click on any one of the four areas and it will take you down to the
sheet level holdings for that area. One should immediately note visually
that any sheet that we do not own is "X"ed out in red, all sheets that
we do own simply have the name of the sheet in the center of the box. In
fact, if you click on the title "Rustenburg" or "Pretoria" or any of the
other owned titles you can also be taken to a bibliographic record for
that sheet.

I hope this is a helpful tool to folks in MAPS-L, and I'd love to hear
feedback from the users in the community. Our goal is to eventually
create active map indexes like this for all of our map sets and series,
and we are slowly working on just that.

Sincerely,

Paige Andrew
Faculty Maps Cataloger