From:
Mary Larsgaard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 May 1996 14:37:45 EDT
If you are a map librarian wondering how you are going to get the time to learn
software to work with spatial data in digital form - or if you'd like to use
some software and hardware before recommending its purchase for your library -
perhaps the following may be assistance.

The Map and Imagery Laboratory (MIL), Davidson Library, University of California
at Santa Barbara, invites you to use the facilities at MIL this summer, between
June 10 through September 20, without fee.  THIS OFFER IS FOR MAP LIBRARIANS AT
LIBRARIES ONLY.  We will make reservations for equipment for one-week or
two-week time periods; there is space for 3 visiting map librarians at any one
time.

This is very much a matter of using the tutorials that MIL has in house; there
will NOT be any classes taught; we would like to work toward that, in years to
come.  MIL staff will provide the assistance we give to any user working on a
tutorial, which is to help the user over glitches in the software.  See appendix
below for lists of software and hardware available.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED, do the following:
- - send an email to me at [log in to unmask], telling me: a) preferred time
period; and b) software/hardware.
Brief information as to travel and housing appears in appendix.

This is an experimental program; if persons find it useful, we would certainly
be interested offering this again next summer.  A special thanks to Stella
Bentley, Assistant University Librarian for Information Services in the Davidson
Library, for encouraging MIL to offer the use of its facilities to map
librarians from other libraries, during what is a slower time of year for this
facility.

Map Link of Santa Barbara has generously offered to provide "scholarships" for
9 map librarians, at $250 for each person, to help defray travel and living
expenses.  If you are interested in applying for one of these scholarships, get
in touch directly with the chair of the association of which you are a member.
The selection part of this process will be handled by these three map-library
associations, with each association having 3 scholarships at its disposition:

a. American Library Association Map and Geography Round Table; chair, Margaret
Brill - [log in to unmask]
b. Special Libraries Association Geography and Map Division; chair, Elaine
Clement - [log in to unmask]
c. Western Association of Map Libraries; president, Kathryn Womble -

Map Link is also kindly offering to treat persons receiving scholarships to an
afternoon at Map Link, beginning with lunch (you see? there IS a free lunch),
and continuing with a tour of Map Link.

Mary Larsgaard
Map and Imagery Laboratory, Davidson Library
University of California, Santa Barbara

APPENDIX

Computer software and hardware:
The equipment in MIL's computer facility concentrates on two major areas of
spatial-data work: image processing; and geographic information systems.  There
are 3 workstations and a color X-terminal running UNIX.  Two workstations run:
- - ERDAS Imagine 8.2,
- - ARC/INFO 7.0.3,
- - ArcView 2.1,
- - and xv 3.10a.
MIL has recently received Intergraph software and may know enough about it
ourselves by this summer in order to get someone into it enough to get a general
idea of its capabilities.
MIL's computer facility has 2 PCs: one dedicated to driving an Eikonix
scanner through ERDAS 7.5 software, the second running a variety of software
that includes:
- - ArcView 2.1,
- - ArcCAD,
- - Atlas/GIS,
- - AutoCAD R13,
- - CorelDRAW! 5.0,
- - IDRISI 4.2,
- - Image Alchemy,-
 IMDISP 7.9, and
- - PCArc 3.4D.
Additionally, a PowerMac, purchased specifically for geologic applications,
runs:
- - Rockware suite,
- - ArcView 2.1 and
- - Adobe Photoshop 3.0.
  Peripheral devices within the facility include a digitizing tablet shared
by the PCs, a digitizing tablet connected to one workstation, CD-ROM drives for
all machines, a 9-track tapedrive, access to 8mm and 4mm tapedrives through the
Lab's server, and 2 network printers: a 600dpi B/W laserjet and a 300dpi color
thermal wax. There is also a Sharp JX-610 color scanner running under Adobe
Photoshop on an Alexandria Digital Library PC, which can be used when
the Alexandria project is not using it. All machines are connected through MIL's
LAN which allows transfer of files between machines within the facility, or to
other networked machines.

Transportation and so on:
Travel: Santa Barbara is served by an airport, Amtrak, Greyhound, and freeway
101.  It is a very pleasant but small airport, and if you don't do small
planes, generally this is not an airport for you to fly into.  What some persons
do is fly into LAX (best rates), then either rent a car or take the Santa
Barbara Airbus (really is a bus; $55 round trip) to Santa Barbara.
Housing: The best deal in town is the UCSB Faculty Club ($55 single and $60
double, if my memory is correct).  If you are a member of another faculty club,
it is my impression that you can deal with them directly - 805/893-3096.  If you
are not, then let me know and I will see if I can make a reservation for you.
Because the rates are so good, and the number of rooms is small (6 or
thereabouts), it fills up quickly.  The Super 8 (805/967-5591) is close to
campus, on the bus route.  If you'd like to try a b&b, or some other hotel, get
in touch with Accomodations Reservation Service (805/687-9191) which for no
charge will recommend places for you to stay.