From:
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 2013 13:01:27 -0500
Subject:        new GeoHumanities group
Date:   Mon, 9 Sep 2013 16:02:53 +0000
From:   Kathy Weimer <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

Maps-L,

Many of you who are doing fabulous interdisciplinary digital map and GIS
projects may want to know about a new group dedicated to GeoHumanities.
   It is a special interest group of the Alliance of Digital Humanities
Organizations. ( http://adho.org )

I attended my first ADHO Digital Humanities conference this summer at it
was fabulous, with a mix of Humanities scholars, librarians, and
IT/technical folks.

Here is the official GeoHumanities Special Interest Group announcement:

I want to announce the formation of a new ADHO Special Interest Group,
*GeoHumanties*.The vision for the GeoHumanities SIG began at the DH2013
conference in Lincoln, where a number of panels and papers addressed
questions of place and geographic connections and contexts.The intent of
the SIG is to be inclusive of spatial, spatial-temporal and ‘placial’
perspectives, and the Geo-prefix for its name reflects geography’s
traditional attention to all of these.

The goals of the GeoHumanities SIG are to create a venue for pooling
knowledge and best practices for relevant existing digital tools and
methods, to foster the collaborative development of shared resources and
new tools and extensions to geospatial software, and to keep humanist
scholars at large informed about the possibilities and inherent pitfalls
in their use.To that end, a web site (www.geohumanities.org), twitter
account (@GeoHum_SIG) and listserv for the GeoHumanities SIG have been
created to encourage and facilitate communication among members. Please
consider subscribing to the listserv to stay informed as we get under
way (subscribe here <http://geohumanities.org/list-subscribe>).

A copy of the proposal as approved by the ADHO steering committee is
here <http://adho.org/proposal_geohumsig.pdf>. It was co-authored by
Kathy Weimer (Texas A&M University) and Karl Grossner (Stanford) and
co-signed by 15 individuals from 12 institutions in 4 countries.

We encourage additional members from all fields and all regions of the
globe, and are in the process of establishing a small steering
committee.Joining the SIG is a simple process.You can begin by clicking
here. <http://geohumanities.org/join> We welcome all interested members
to contribute ideas and help shape the SIG for our shared benefit.

Follow us on Twitter, and consider joining ADHO and the GeoHumanities SIG,

Best,

Kathy

Katherine H. Weimer
Professor
Co-Editor, Journal of Map & Geography Libraries
Curator of Maps, Cushing Memorial Library & Archives
Coordinator, Map & GIS Library
Texas A & M University Libraries
5000 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-5000