From:
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 2011 15:51:00 -0600
Subject: RE: Globe purchase recommendations?
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 13:40:00 -0500
From: Grabach, Kenneth A. Mr. <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship <[log in to unmask]>

I can recommend the Replogle line of globes.  The globe sphere is indeed
cardboard, but it is a very thick type that holds up to considerable
use.  They marked a basic type at 16 inch diameter under various names,
mostly varying by the type of stand.  The Cambridge, which I could not
find at their own website, is a nice version that comes in either
antique ocean or blue ocean style.  It has a wooden floor stand, but
also comes has a metal base that can be used on a desk or shelf top.
Aside from the size and reasonable price with good quality, is that it
is mounted on a cradle that allows for the globe to be tilted or
swiveled to a variety of orientations to view a part of the globe more
easily.  The axis is mounted on this cradle, so rotation is still possible.

Various dealers and vendors handle this and similar models.  Replogle
often offers with purchase a replacement program as political geography
changes.

Ken Grabach                           <[log in to unmask]>
Maps Librarian                          Phone: 513-529-1726
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA