From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 11:19:06 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 08:09:53 -0700
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Organizing Maps using SUDOCS
Sender: [log in to unmask]

This message is being cross-posted.  Forgive duplications.   Are there any
of you map folks that use the SUDOCS numbers for shelving U.S. government
printed maps?  Not having a maps librarian here at our library, I have been
trying to create some sort of order in our chaotic map collection.  Since
most of our maps are acquired through the depository system, they will be
assigned a SUDOC number, which I can use for filing the map (we have all
vertical file cabinets).
The problem is the older maps that are pre-1976 (date of  MARCIVE
cataloging records through GPO Access).  For these I need to look in the
old monthly bulletins.  I have started the laborious process of going
through the bulletins, but with no success.  Does anyone out there in the
world of maps and/or govdocs have any tips to share as to how to search the
monthly bulletins?                                               Was there
a lag in how long a publication took to make it into the bulletin, etc.
etc.?
Any advice would be appreciated!

Debra McCracken
Research and Information II Assistant