From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 7 Nov 1998 16:48:23 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
>Date: Fri, 06 Nov 1998 22:39:11 -0600
>From: Stroeve <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Chicago Map Society Meeting

Place:  Towner Fellows' Lounge, The Newberry Library,
        60 W. Walton,  Chicago,  IL
Time:   5:30 - 7:00 PM,  Thursday  12 November 1998
Program:Paula Rebert, Northern Illinois University,
        "Maps of the Mexican Boundary Commission, 1849-1857"
More:   312-255-3689  and/or  [log in to unmask]

Please join us for what promises to be an exciting program.
Our featured speaker is Dr. Paula Rebert, one of our most loyal
members.  She will introduce us to one of the lesser-known
episodes in American Cartographic History, but one of long-lasting
political and economic significance - the work of the international
commission charged with determining the US-Mexican boundary after the
war of 1846-1848.

The evening will commence with a few remarks from Malcolm Lewis
about the making of the Cartographic Encounters (University of
Chicagoi Press).  The most recent volume to emerge from the Kenneth
Nebenzahl Jr. lectures in the History of Cartography.

With a special appearance and book-signing by Malcolm Lewis,
editor of Cartographic Encounters: Perspectives on Native American
Map Making and Map Use.

Wilbert Stroeve
President, Chicago Map Society
--- End Forwarded Message ---