From:
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 16:49:32 -0500
Subject: RE: [Fwd: barcoding maps]
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 08:57:50 +1100
From: "Maura O'Connor" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "'Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum'" <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Dear Nancy
I can't remember whether I replied to this discussion or not, although I
vaguely remember it being raised.
At the National Library of Australia we systematically barcode our
modern
maps - at the cataloguing stage.  I do not know the brand name, but our
labels are made in Belgium, and measure 4 x 4 cm. The barcode is placed
on
the verso of the map, within the neat lines.  We have not had a problem
of
codes adhering to other maps within their jackets. The barcode number is
recorded in the catalogue record and is used when the item is/whenever
sent
out on Inter-Library Loan, a system we have of loaning library
materials,
between libraries, around Australia .  Modern maps are post-1900
materials.
The Library also has a network of detectors placed at the entrances to
the
building which are activated if the material, with barcodes, is moved
illegally from the building.
We do not apply the barcode to rare maps or aerial photographs.  For
that
material we use a library stamp - the rare maps having a very tiny
stamp,
applied to the verso of the map, again within the neat lines.  Aerial
photographs have a date stamp, which includes the Library's name
similarly
applied.  We have other systems in place, which I won't discuss here,
for
managing the security of this material.
You are welcome to contact me off the list if you need more information.
Yours sincerely
Maura O'Connor
Map Curator
National Library of Australia