From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
CONNIE MANSON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 14:10:11 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 10:26:22 -0800
From: CONNIE MANSON <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: bay vs. sound <fwd>
Sender: CONNIE MANSON <[log in to unmask]>

Mapsters--

Puget Sound was named in 1792 by Captain George Vancouver for Lt. Peter Puget,
the shipmate who examined the southern part of the sound in May, 1792.  As to
why Vancouver called it 'Puget Sound' rather than 'Puget Bay'?  I suppose you'd
have to ask Vancouver.  But it could have been worse: the native names for parts
of the sound included Whulch, Whulge [sometimes spelled Whulj], Whole-itsh,
K'u-k'luts, and others.  (source: Robert Hitchman's "Place names of Washington"
published by the Washington State Historical Society, 1985.)

Connie J. Manson
Senior Librarian
Washington Division of Geology and Earth Resources
P.O. Box 47007
1111 Washington S.E., Room 173
Olympia, WA 98504-7007
ph: 360/902-1472; fax: 360/902-1785