From:
Joel Kovarsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2017 07:16:31 -0400
I wonder about the feasibility of the project. The Southern Poverty Law
Ctr.--the major US organization focused on following hate groups--was
founded in 1971. Systematic study, and how it should be structured, was
not present in colonial times, nor around the Civil War--this has only
developed since the Civil Rights Era (depending on how one parses the
subject). The ACLU was founded in 1920, but much of its modern
information comes from the Southern Poverty Law Ctr., and the ACLU's
aims have been different over the decades--not so focused on gathering
data on hate groups.

This is from the SPLC: https://www.splcenter.org/hate-map . Data are
recent, but there is graph of numbers (not locations) towards the bottom
of the page.

If something more definitive were found, I would be interested to learn
of it.

        Joel Kovarsky