From:
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 1994 14:43:45 EST
Two messages concerning the EDRISI question.-----------Johnnie

      Thu, 27 Jan 94 10:14:30 EST
      [log in to unmask] (Keith Clarke)
         Re: EDRISI

EDRISI is in fact, IDRISI (named for the Islamic Cartographer).
The package is microcomputer based, and was developed at Clark
University in the Geography program by J. R. Eastman.

There is an Internet support group for IDRISI at

To subscribe to this list, send a subcribe message to

I am quoting from Analytical and Computer Cartography, 2nd Ed.,
Chapter 6 : Access to Spatial Data
which I am now finished with and editing to appear in early 1995.

Keith Clarke

              Thu, 27 Jan 94 09:18:00 EST
              Blake Gumprecht <GUMPBW@TEMPLEVM>
              Re: EDRISI

IDRISI is a relatively inexpensive (under $500 I've heard) raster-based
GIS produced by the geography department at Clark University in Worcester,
Mass. I have only limited experiencing using it, so I'm not sure if it
will fill the needs of your professors.

Raster-based systems are made up of equal size grids, much like your TV
screen. As a result, they are rather inprecise and are best used for
performing analysis and producing maps for information with imprecise
boundaries (trees types, climatic data, etc.).

Vector-based systems, which are made up of points, lines and polygons,
are much more precise. They are more appropriate if you want to map or
analyze socioeconomic data for small areas -- say poverty levels by
Census tract. The leading vector-based system is called ARC/INFO, produced
by Environmental Systems Research Institute of Redlands, Calif. ARC/INFO
is fairly pricey. The same company produces a less expensive and more
user-friendly, but also less powerful system called ARC/VIEW.

Blake Gumprecht                                Telephone: (215) 204-3187
Documents Librarian                                  Fax: (215) 204-5201
Paley Library (017-00)                    Internet: [log in to unmask]
Temple University                                Bitnet: gumpbw@templevm
Philadelphia, PA 19122