From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 1999 08:38:31 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 08:30:46 -0700
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: RE: map circulation/preservation (fwd)

For years, Oregon State University has used a 4-part form, about 3x5, for
checkout of maps. There are spaces for call number and title, date due and
one renewal date, and date any overdue notice is sent. Patron's name,
address, email, phone number and id number are written in along the side of
the form. Our name, location and phone number are printed (in tiny, 8-point
font!) along the bottom with some simple map care instructions ("Do not fold
rolled maps - no pins, tacks or tape"). The patron receives the back copy,
which is rubber-banded to the map tube (no naked maps leave THIS facility!);
the third copy is filed by call number in case the slip doesn't return with
the map, and the upper two copies are filed by date due. The second copy is
handy if I need to send an overdue notice.

Only current maps (younger than 30 years) are loaned, for a period of 2
weeks with one 2-week renewal allowed if nobody else has requested the map.

Recently, we've gone from our budget-necessitated use of whatever free tubes
we could lay our hands on to a standard white-covered cardboard tube which
we've purchased. This provides a lovely background to the big piece of
purple paper we tape onto it that contains detailed instructions for the
proper care and feeding of our maps <g>. I haven't done any formal survey,
but I seem to notice that the maps come back in a little better shape than
they used to before we started screaming these instructions at patrons.

Valery King
Government Information and Maps
Oregon State University, 121 The Valley Library
Corvallis, OR   97331-5401
ph: (541) 737-7318; fax: (541) 737-3453