From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 2008 10:39:58 -0500
Subject:        RE: Surface Management/Minerals Management Status series
Date:   Mon, 29 Sep 2008 10:20:18 -0400
From:   Grabach, Kenneth A. Mr. <[log in to unmask]>
To:     [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>

Jenny, and others:

My collection had formerly retained all editions of all sheets of both the Surface and Mineral Management series.  This was part of a general policy to retain all topographic maps, of all series.  I recently revised this to allow for exceptions in certain series of maps, including the BLM 1:100,000 Surface and Mineral Management series.

Reasoning for this is that, 1) the series is intended to reflect current status for various activities on BLM lands, including recreation, grazing, forestry, mineral and petroleum extraction.  2) they cover lands in states not contiguous to Ohio.  3) their use in the map collection has been very low, even since adding the series to the database for the OPAC.  While there is interest from the Geology Dept here for the Rocky Mountains areas, there has none the less been very low usage of this series.  Therefore, because of all three points, I decided to retain current editions only.  I will retain one copy of each sheet in each series, and withdraw it when a new edition is received.

Another map series that I revised in this way is the National Forest Service maps (other than topographic quadrangles adapted for Forest Service use).  Based on points 1) and 3) above, I determined that I could not afford the space to make this a growing collection.  I withdraw the older edition of each title as a newer one is  received.  I will retain older maps when no new revision is received, and occasionally new titles (not revisions of previous titles) are received, so there is some growth.  But I anticipate being able to keep these in a single 4-drawer filing cabinet for a long time.

Ken Grabach                           <[log in to unmask]>
Maps Librarian                         Phone: 513-529-1726
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA