From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jennifer Stone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 1998 15:26:09 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
>Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 14:12:03 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Jennifer Stone <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: spatial data archives

Hello Maps-L...

A colleague and I are looking at ways digital data is stored for access
within a library or other organization. We're not interested so much in
relational databases or SDE-type of schemes, but the ways in which you've
stored individual coverages, shapefiles, etc. For example, the data that
comes packaged with ESRI software is organized by scale, then geography,
then theme.

Basically, we're interested in any standards or recommendations on the
architecture of spatial data archives. By this, we mean the way
directories are set up; how data sets are arranged within an a large
archive, in order to be readily browsable. Are you using the G schedule or
a modification thereof? Temporal divisons? Thematic? A combination?

I'm aware of the July 1998 issue of Cartography and Geographic Information
Systems, on "Spatial Data Infrastructures in the 1990s," and have been
looking at Alexandria, Infomine, USGS, etc. Is there any other literature
or web sites out there that you'd recommend?

Thanks! I'll sum, if folks are interested.

Jenny Stone
GIS Librarian * Map Collection
University of Washington Libraries
Box 352900 * Seattle, WA 98195-2900