From:
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 16:52:36 EST
4 messages.---Johnnie

>Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 15:11:08 -0500
>From: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Cataloging question

   Ages ago when I did deal with maps, the name of the entity was always
entered even if it never existed.  We had no category for such things because
we rarely went beyong geographic headings (this was before computers and we had
to type each card).  On the card, it would be noted if the place was "real,"
from literature, extinct, or never created.  There were several proposed
counties in Pennsylvania which never came to be, but we had to have a note to
that fact.  One of them even had a map and the county legislation was passed,
but the governor didn't sign it so the county never was.

                                J. B. Post

>Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 12:44:12 -0800 (PST)
>From: David Lundquist <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Cataloging question

Peter-

I went into the Melvyl(tm) UC online catalog and found what might be a
solution to the problem.  I seemed to recall the term 'proposed' used
somewhere in this context and came up with about 5 hits where it had been
used enclosed in parentheses, e.g.

Eltapom Reservoir (Calif.)(Proposed)--Maps
Bear Canon Reservoir (Calif:Proposed)--Maps

I think the term 'Proposed' would be closer to the actual situation than
the other terms suggested, most of which seemed to call for the city/town
to have existed to one degree or another.  It's a term I would have no
problem usingf.  Comments?

David Lundquist
Map Librarian
Shields Library
Univ. of California, Davis

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Peter Stark wrote:

> Dear Maps-l catalogers,
>
>    We are about to catalog our collection of historic Oregon city plans
> and now need some advice from experienced catalogers on a particular kind
> of city plan -- cities proposed and platted but never built.
>
>    The question:  Is there an LC subject heading that correctly describes
> this kind of town other than the town name itself followed by |x Maps.
>
> There are many such towns in Oregon.  The subject heading "Extinct cities"
> does not really serve here.  These towns never "lived" so could not become
> "extinct."  They did not become part of other towns nearby, and they were
> not wiped off the face of the earth by some natural disaster. Plat maps
> exist for them and these plats were duly filed with the county clerk.
> Perhaps lots were sold, but they were never built upon -- nothing ever
> existed to waste away into a ghost town.
>
>    LC's cataloging manual addresses these towns on Page 1.7, but only in
> regards to classification number assignments, not subject headings.
>
>    Perhaps their is no adequate subject access -- if so, should "Extinct
> cities" be used anyway?  Thank you all.
>                ---------------------------------------------------------
>                Peter L. Stark
>                Head, Map and Aerial Photography (MAP) Library
>                165 Condon Hall, University of Oregon, Eugene, OR  97403
>                (541) 346-3051

>Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 13:32:16 -0800 (PST)
>From: Philip Hoehn <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Cataloging question

Peter,

that never lived, I'd add suggest:

1.  Use "xMaps" as the heading.

2.  Compile a list (if one doesn't already exist) for these planned
towns.  Post it on your great website.

3.  Add a 650 heading beginning with "City planning" (an activity that
doesn't have to be performed by professonal planners)

         Phil

    Phil Hoehn
    Branner Earth Sciences Library & Map Collections
    Stanford University

>From: Sue Haffner <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Cataloging question
>Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 13:41:36 -0800 (PST)

Peter,

I was interested in your question regarding subject headings
for the maps of Oregon towns that were planned and platted, but
never built. Quite a cataloguing challenge!

I have been doing retrospective cataloguing of our collection,
and have worked on plat maps of planned developments, some of
which came to partial fruition, some of which didn't. I tend to
look at these as real estate maps, so used the subject heading:
Real property - California - Fresno County, Agricultural colonies
- California - Fresno County, etc. I made sure that there were
enough title access points to lead users to the map that way.

I'm not sure if the above is relevant to the items you are
working on, but I hope so.

Sue Haffner
Map Library
CSU Fresno