From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 17:20:56 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 09:21:46 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
From: Mark Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: CensusCD+Maps

Regarding the CD-ROM product mentioned below (CensusCD+Maps by
Geolytics), can anyone please comment on its usefulness if we
already have:

1. desktop mapping programs (ArcView and MapInfo)
2. census boundary files in these formats (and you can, of
course, download TIGER95 files as ArcView shapfiles from ESRI)
3. 1990 census STF data on Wessex Profiler discs, which allow
creating ascii and dbase files
4. all the census data on the original depository census discs,
which we can transfer to ascii, dbase, etc. using Extract.

I realize that the Geolytics products have some historical time
series data and some a few other things that have been thrown
in, but are these data complete enough to be genuinely useful or
are they just a few extra Christmas tree ornaments thrown in as
a sales gimmick?

Are the mapping features at all useful if we're already
comfortable with using desktop mapping programs for mapping
census data?  I'm just a little concerned about any confusion
caused by a proliferation of software the serves the same
functions and with having the same data available in multiple
places.  Too many choices. Maybe it's better to focus more.

Please corroborate or allay my concerns.

thanks,
        Mark
Mark Thomas / Public Documents & Maps / Perkins Library
   Duke University / Durham, NC  27708-0177
      [log in to unmask] / voice: 919-660-5853 / FAX: 919-684-2855
The train ...
        traditional, yet environmentally sound.  --Lisa Simpson

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999 17:20:50 -0500 Anna Sylvan
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Some of you may remember "CensusCD" - a CD-ROM that we all raved about.
> Some of you may also be familiar with GeoLytics' new version of the
> product: "CensusCD+Maps". If you liked the original CD you will love the
> new one with mapping capabilities. It costs $249.95, unless you are a user
> of the CensusCD in which case the "upgrade" is only $99.95.
>
> The "CensusCD+Maps" offers:
> 1. Sixteen geography levels (from Nation, through Region, Division, State,
> County, Tract, BG, Place, Zip, MSA/CMSA, PMSA, Urban area, 104 Congress,
> American Indian, ANRC, MCD; and radius from Lat/Lon, Zip centroid, Place
> centroid, or address). This disk holds demographic data and maps boundaries
> of the 1990 Census for over 375,000 geographic areas.
>
> 2. 240 specific selections in a report (data variables are organized in 18
> groups).
> 3. Estimates (1997) and Projections (2002) of both demographic and Consumer
> Spending Data.
> 4. 26 categories of US County Time Series Stats (crime, Fed. spending,
> agriculture, industry, employment, vital stats, - for 3,000 counties).
>
> What impressed me is the speed with which the maps are drawn and the ease
> of use. The product has many other features that allow you to customize the
> maps and reposts.
>
> Unfortunatelly, GeoLytics does not promote this product actively (I bought
> from them the original CensusCD about two years ago, and yet they failed to
> send me any promotional material regarding their new CD!). I learned about
> it coincidently while calling them on another matter.
>
> It may be old news to some of you, still the product is worth mentioning here.
>
> Anna
> Anna A. Sylvan                          Voice: 314.978.7998
> GIS/Government Information Resources    Fax:   314.978.7998
> St. Charles City-County Lib. District   E-mail: [log in to unmask]
> 2750 Hwy K, O'Fallon, MO 63366-7859
>                 http://www.win.org/library/matls/govdocs/main.htm
>                 http://www.win.org/library/services/gis/gishp.htm

--- End Forwarded Message ---