From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 2009 09:23:57 -0500
Subject:        FW: news about Turkish cartography
Date:   Tue, 30 Jun 2009 09:19:16 -0500
From:   Hadden, Robert L ERDC-TEC-VA <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

        I am forwarding this item of interest about Turkish Mapping from the
Middle East Librarian's Association (http://www.mela.us/).
        "The Ottomans' Worldview: from Pîrî Reis to Kâtip Çelebi" includes
detailed maps from the two prominent men who made some of the most important
contributions to Ottoman geography and cartography together with works from
other geographers from the same era."
        The exhibition, organized by the İstanbul-based Bahçeşehir University
Civilization Studies Center (MEDAM), aims to show the perspective of the
Ottoman Empire from 1650 to 1660, MEDAM President Bekir Karlıağa explained in
a recent interview with Today's Zaman. "Maps reveal the knowledge and
technology of the period, and we thought showcasing them rather than adding
our own interpretations or comments would be better," he said, adding that
this way the exhibit's viewers can come to their own conclusions.
        The world maps of Pîrî Reis and his book "Kitab-ı Bahriye," which he
presented to Suleiman the Magnificent in 1526, are the most important 16th
century Ottoman naval and cartographic works, Professor Karlıağa explained.
"Even though they are prepared in a traditional style, the works of Pîrî Reis
are portolan charts based on his personal experiences, observations and
earlier maps from the East and West. Although they lack longitude and
latitude lines, they are as precise as scientific maps for practical naval
purposes since they have a projection center and are adjusted for variation,"
Karlıağa said.
        "The exhibition is part of MEDAM's series of cultural events to mark
the year of Kâtip Çelebi. The cartographer's complete works will be
translated into modern Turkish, and his famous world atlas, "Cihannüma," will
be translated into English. An international conference on Kâtip Çelebi, with
30 scholars from around the world expected to participate, is scheduled for
June 19-20 at the Ankara State Painting and Sculpture Museum."

R. Lee Hadden
Geospatial Information Library (Map Library))
U. S. Army Geospatial Center
ATTN: CEERD-TO-I (Hadden)
7701 Telegraph Road
Alexandria, VA 22315-3864
(703) 428-9206

"Curiosity is not a nice virtue- and it never leads to innocence." -Donna
Haraway

See some of my writings, both online and on paper, at my author page at:
http://www.librarything.com/author/haddenrobertlee