From:
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1993 16:00:44 EDT
Here are three messages concerning my info request for the NGS CD-ROM Atlas.
--------------Johnnie

-----------------------------------

    : Wed, 23 Jun 1993 10:01:43 -0700 (PDT)
      Jenny Marie Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
         NGS Picture Atlas of the World

According to the NGS Ed-Tech '93 catalog the PICTURE ATLAS OF THE WORLD is
geared for grades 4-12.  It is supposed to put "high-resolution maps of
every nation at your fingertips--plus photographs of each country's
people, places, and landforms."  800 interactive maps in VGA format, 900+
full-screen color photos, pop-up glossary, audio and video clips,
statistical data, "animations and diagrams explaining the language of
maps."  Seems to retail for $99.99 by itself but with something called a
"Thunder Board" goes for $185.00.  ISBN 0-7922-2073-0.

I bet that they'd get quite a crowd if they bring it to the exhibits in New
Orleans!

NGS lists a tollfree number -- 1-800-368-2728.

Jenny Marie Johnson
University of Washington
Map Collection
On Wed, 23 Jun 1993, Johnnie D. Sutherland wrote:

> The latest  International Map Dealers Association newsletter, "The Map Report"
> had a short note on a National Geographical Society CD-ROM product called:
> Picture Atlas of the World."  It was described as a combination of text, maps,
> audio and video clips, and 1200 photos in an interactive atlas.  The note  did
> not state the level for which the atlas was designed.  Is it an atlas designed
> for children, for high school and the general public, or for??   Anyone know
> about this CD-ROM?
>
> Johnnie Sutherland       JSUTHERL@UGA
> University of Georgia

      Wed, 23 Jun 1993 18:59:55 +0100
      [log in to unmask] (Olev Koop)
         Re: NGS Picture Atlas of the World

>The latest  International Map Dealers Association newsletter, "The Map Report"
>had a short note on a National Geographical Society CD-ROM product called:
>Picture Atlas of the World."  It was described as a combination of text, maps,
>audio and video clips, and 1200 photos in an interactive atlas.  The note  did
>not state the level for which the atlas was designed.  Is it an atlas designed
>for children, for high school and the general public, or for??   Anyone know
>about this CD-ROM?

We have a copy of it and I had a brief session with it. It is comparable to
products like World Atlas or PC Globe, only it has a lot more Multi Media
features (even moving video images and lines of text pronounced by native
speakers and the local music through a sound card in the PC). It lookes
very spectacular but the information is, in my opinion, not always very
relevant. For instance when I look up the Netherlands (my country) the
editors included a river of very minor importance among our major rivers (i
even hadn't heard of this river before. The geographical information is
somewhat stereotypical for the various countries (You Know, tulips, wooden
shoes and cheese). On the other hand it is fun to play with. We were given
a copy by one of the editors in chief, but I heard it is being sold for
$149,- by the NGS on the street for something like $100,-). It runs on a
PC, but I don't have the specs at hand. We used it on a 386 with 4Mb of
memory. A Soundblaster Card is needed for the audio samples. We don't have
this card so it was a silent experience.
Olev Koop                                             E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
Cartography Section                             Phone :  +31 30 531379
Faculty of Geographic Sciences        Fax    :   +31 30 540604
Utrecht University
PO Box 80.115
3508 TC Utrecht
The Netherlands

      National Geograhic Library3 <[log in to unmask]>
         NGS Atlas
      Wed, 23 Jun 93 15:05:16 EDT

The National Geographic Society Picture Atlas of the World (CD_ROM) is
designed for grade 4 to adult level.  For more information call Teresa Rush,
Ed. Media Dept., NGS, 202/775-6734.

Ann Benson
Library, Ass't. Director
NGS