From:
Alberta Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 1996 17:08:27 EST
Press Release:

        A reorganization of the Queen Elizabeth II Library, Memorial
University of Newfoundland, St. John's, Newfoundland, designed to focus
attention on access to electronic texts and data was announced last week.
Effective January 15, 1996, the Library Audiovisual Resource Centre (LARC)
will join the Map Library in a new unit, the Maps, Data and Media Division
under the Headship of Alberta Auringer Wood.  The Map Library name will
remain the same, for the time being, while LARC will become the Media and
Data Centre.

        The new unit will have responsibility for acquiring, mounting and
providing access to information in electronic formats for users of the
Queen Elizabeth II Library.  It will be responsible for all electronic
formats (e.g. CD-ROM, tape, remote access) but will not be responsible
for periodical indexes which remain the remit of the Information Services
Division.

        "This division is being established to deal with the growing
demand by the clientele of the Queen Elizabeth II Library for access to,
and assistance with, electronic resources," said Richard H. Ellis,
University Librarian.  "We are attempting to provide more adequate
service to our users in line with commitments made in our strategic plan
"New Bearings: Strategic Directions for the University Library System."

|  Alberta Auringer Wood, Head, Maps, Data and Media Div., QEII Library, |
|  Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's, Newfoundland, CANADA |
|  A1B 3Y1. phone: 709-737-8892; fax: 709-737-2153; net:                 |