From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jul 1998 17:26:52 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 16:34:18 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Measure for scales
Sender: Ken Grabach <[log in to unmask]>
To: MAPS-L <[log in to unmask]>

I have recently taken on a maps librarianship.  I have responsibility,
among other activities, for the cataloging of maps in the collection.  I
was shown a device by my predecessor that allows one to estimate a scale
in reference ratio when the map gives a bar scale only.  He said he would
give me the information to order one before he left, but he did not leave
that information for me.  This tool was printed on a clear film that one
can overlay on the map to be measured.   It appeared to be about 2 feet or
so in length, or around 60 cm.

If anyone knows what sort of device I refer to above, and knows what it is
called and where to order such a tool, please respond directly to me.  I
have in the two weeks that I have been at it already found a need for one.

Ken Grabach         <[log in to unmask]>
International Documents and Maps Librarian
Miami University Libraries
Oxford, Ohio  45056  USA
--- End Forwarded Message ---