From:
Date:
Tue, 7 May 1996 16:41:02 EDT
This message is from John Shanton at USGS.--------------Johnnie

>Date: Tue, 7 May 96 7:04:46 -24000
>From: <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: re: USGS Topo prices and delivery

There are two important changes that should be made to the messages that
Johnnie Sutherland put out the other day.

#1      Telephone # for the Distribution center in Denver is now:
        303 202-4700  and the fax # is 303 202-4693
        Turnaround time currently from Distribution is 3 to 4 weeks.

#2      This is a very important change that was stated incorrectly and it
        has to do with the PRICES.  The new price is $4.00 per map

        reguardless what scale it is.  This $4.00 price is for all THEMATIC
        maps also.
        PLEASE NOTE:  There is also a $3.50 handling charge for all orders
        reguardless of the size of the order.

I'm sorry to hear that there is a problem with the use of the 1 800 USA-MAPS
number.  We average 1200 to 1300 calls per week at this number.  With a
limited staff we try to answer as many as possible as soon as the phone
rings.  If the customers using this number would listen for a few moments
they might be able to get thru to the message box that would give them the
answer they need.  There are message boxes, that you may leave your name and
phone #, and we will respond within 24 Hrs.

For additional information there is a fax-on-demand system available for
information for all of the segiments of the USGS.  This is available 24 hrs.
per day at 703 648-4888. Have your fax # available and follow the directions.
From this system you should request the specific indexes for the various
segiments of the USGS. They are as follow:

        1000    News releases and current info. from the USGS
        3000    Maps and Publications Information
        5000    Water Information
        7000    Geologic Information
From these indexes you may then pick the info. sheets which best meet your
need.  Then request those items for return to your fax.

Last but not least please feel free to access the USGS home page at:
http://www.usgs.gov/

John Shanton, Chief
Earth Science Information Center
US Geological Survey