From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tsering W. Shawa
Date:
Tue, 3 Dec 2002 16:53:23 -0500
Ilene Raynes,

I think, the best topographic map of Tibet between Sikkim and Lhasa that were mapped around 1930s and 1940s are certainly the survey of India's 250k scale topographic map. In fact, the British India were trying to map these and many other Tibetan areas since 1866 by sending many spies to Tibet to survey and map Tibet. Later these maps were used by the British military expedition led by the Colonel Younghusband in 1903-04. The expedition has entered Tibet through Sikkim and went up to Lhasa and forced a Tibetan to sign the trade treaty in 1904. With the expedition, there were a few geologists and surveyors who verified and update the maps done by the spies (so called pundits). The survey of India’s Tibet map is continually updated by British India through different means till they left India.

I am not sure whether your patron have seen the book called Lhasa by Perceval Landon, vol. I & II, 1905. In the first vol. you will see a beautiful map showing a route of the British 1903-04 military expedition to Tibet. The title of the map is "the road to Lhasa." I love this map.

Regarding the topo map of Eastern Tibet bordering China, I think the best topo map of these areas could be AMS 250K. If your patron is interested in Kham area then map done by Eric Teichman could be very useful. The title of the map is called "part of Kam in Eastern Tibet" published by the geographical Journal vol. 59, Jan-June 1922. It is not a topo map but gives very good information about the general area of Kham.

Thanks.
-Wangyal
Tsering Wangyal Shawa
Geographic Information Systems Librarian
Head, Digital Map and Geospatial Information Center
Geosciences and Map Library
Guyot Hall, Princeton University
Princeton, NJ 08544
Phone: (609) 258-6804