From:
"[charley seavey]" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 1993 09:47:54 EDT

More from a CUAC original.  The original organization was a committee of
the G&M division of Special Libraries Association... I forget what the
name was.  DMA was probably the prime agency we wanted to talk to, but
USGS in those days was not exactly a fount of cooperation either-- Gary
North was new, and considerably junior from what he is now.  The GPO
depository system did not include anywhere near the number of maps it
does now.  CUAC was born in a bar in Washington, DC, one night when the
membership of the SLA G&M committee realized that we represented a goodly
number of other organizations as well as G&M.  The thought was that
CUAC as a collective representing many organizations would be more
effective than just a G&M committee.  We sort of did it without asking
permission of anyone, but I think the organization has been effective
over the years.  I'm not sure what the Congress is that CUAC isn't, but
then I haven't been involved with CUAC for quite a while--

charley seavey
aka DOCMAPS