From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 12:00:44 -0500
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject: Re: MAPS-L: Question about cataloging geologic maps
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005
From: Paige Andrew <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Gwen,

It doesn't matter what type of map that the relief is shown on, the type or
method used to show that relief needs to be coded in the Relief fixed field
and the appropriate 500 note placed in the body of the record. Geologic
maps most typically show relief using contours and spot heights. Sometimes
only one or the other. Bathymetric maps, since they show the structure of
the floor under a body of water, typically show depth (NOT relief!) by
using one or more combinations of soundings, bathymetric isolines, gradient
tints, shading, etc. And, if you have a map that shows both relief and
depth then you can code for both (only 4 placeholders for appropriate codes
in the fixed field, so that is the max you can indicate) and also put in
two sentences in one 500 note, each telling the method/type of relief shown.

If none of this is making sense please feel free to contact me directly, if
by phone I am at: 814-865-1755.

Sincerely,

Paige