From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 1999 13:53:11 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 11:09:40 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
From: Mark Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: NIMA Chart Distribution (was: NIMA series 1144)

Paul and everyone should know that Robin Haun-Mohamed and the
folks at GPO are aware of the problems with the distribution of
NIMA charts.  They have been meeting with NIMA to work out the
details of moving chart distribution from the Defense Logistics
Agency in Richmond to GPO in Washington, and GPO's nautical chart
survey last fall (check with your federal docs librarian if this
doesn't ring a bell) was part of their attempt to work this out.
Robin, at GODORT's Federal Agency Update at ALA Midwinter,
mentioned their ongoing negotiations with NIMA, so it isn't
anything secret;  it will just apparently take a little time.

Some libraries apparently didn't get any charts from Richmond
after they moved distribution there from Philadelphia last
summer.  Some places, like us, did get a bundle of them
from Richmond after a hiatus of a few months, but then it dried
up again in the fall.  There has been, perhaps, a corruption of
the NIMA mailing list database as there had been a couple of
years ago with the DMA database, a reason for GPO's survey last
fall.

Mark Thomas / Public Documents & Maps / Perkins Library
   Duke University / Durham, NC  27708-0177
      [log in to unmask] / voice: 919-660-5853 / FAX: 919-684-2855
The train ...
        traditional, yet environmentally sound.  --Lisa Simpson

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999 16:30:06 -0500 Johnnie Sutherland
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> [...]

--- End Forwarded Message ---