From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Brendan Whyte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 12:08:18 -0500
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 11:24:17 +1100
From: Brendan Whyte <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Request for Indian maps

Hello, i am trying to trace the present Indian-Bangladesh boundary on some
old British inch-to-the-mile maps (1930s), using Sir Cyril Radcliffe's
original partition of 1947, and have been able to use the thana and
district boundaries the maps show for much of the length along the Cooch
Behar boundary, to the junction of Assam and Bengal.. BUT these maps do not
show the thana boundaries in Bengal itself, only district boundaries in
Bengal. As Jalpaiguri district, Bengal, was split along Thana lines from
just S of Silguri, on the Darjeeling/Bihar border , to the border of Cooch
Behar, I have only small scale maps of this section of the border (1:250
000), US maps from the 1950s and 60s. These are too inaccurate to enlarge 4
times (as the border is punctuated by several enclaves, especially as
several which Radcliffe's partition says should be in India appear to be in
Bangladesh). My maps of India or W.Bengal showing thanas are at 1:1 000
000, which is way too small.

The old British 1:126 720 and 1:253 440 maps show no more either.

Does someone out there have anything at 1:250 000 or larger showing the
Indian/Bangladesh border or thanas in pre-independence India along this
section?

Perhaps TTK (?) the Indian tourist map people have something? Even a map of
Darjeeling district could be of help...

Radcliffe's partition uses only administrative unit boundariues as
descriptors, rather than a physical delimitation, quelle dommage.

Perhaps the Russian military topos currently on sale at 1:200 000 or 1:100
000 show the boundary well? If anyone has these, I would be MOST INTERESTED
to hear from you.

Thank you
Brendan Whyte
Geography Dept