From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 2000 08:41:41 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 10:17:47 +0100
From: Francis Herbert <[log in to unmask]>
To: "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: FW: RGS & Historical Maps: attachment

Dear Maps-L folk,

As the attachment was, to many (all?) Maps-L subscribers, apparently
*unattached* I subjoin a copied form of same from the Press Release.
Please note ('no names, no packdrill') that the maps are not at the metric
scale of 1:10K but the old (imperial) measure of 6 inches to 1 mile.  And
that, although the RGS (with IBG)'s collection is the basis for the scanning
project, the initiative and commerce side of it is derives from, and is
handled by, Sitescope.

Apologies to all who may have been at a (temporary) loose end as to how to
spend their finances...
Francis Herbert
http://www.rgs.org

Sitescope completes Royal Geographical Society map scanning project
- GB historical maps available digitally for first time -

LONDON, 4 August  2000 The Royal Geographical Society (with IBG) and
Sitescope Limited announced today the completion of a project to scan the
Society's collection of pre-1950 Ordnance Survey six inch to one mile (1:10
560) scale maps.

The Society's map collection is renowned world wide. Commenting on the
completion of the project, Andrew Tatham, Keeper at the RGS (with IBG), said
"By scanning the maps and making them available in digital form, many more
people will be able to benefit from our unique collection."

Sitescope, the UK's leading Internet provider of geo-spatial information and
mapping services to environmental and construction professionals, managed
the scanning and indexing of the maps. Dan Re'em, Chief Executive of
Sitescope, said " We are delighted to have been given the opportunity to
work with the RGS (with IBG) to create a digital collection of maps which
will not only be of significant commercial value but will also create new
opportunities for research."

By scanning the complete maps at high resolution and creating a
comprehensive listing, it is now possible to select and print out the right
map sheet in seconds. "With nearly 56, 000 map sheets dating from 1842
surveys to 1949 printings
now scanned" said Francis Herbert, Curator of Maps," we will be able to
provide a much better service to visitors to the Map Room . In addition, the
database of map sheets provides an invaluable resource for geographers and
historians."

Sitescope intends to extend the scanning exercise to include the entire
range of large scale Ordnance Survey mapping. Dan Re'em, commenting on
Sitescope's future plans said, "We are planning to work with the key mapping
archives to create the definitive digital archive of OS large scale mapping
in the UK. We believe that by using the latest scanning technology we can
create a range of services that will help conserve these wonderful maps and
make them available to scholars as well making a reasonable commercial
return. We would welcome approaches from other organisations who hold
complementary collections."

Francis Herbert welcomed the idea of extending the project. "Sitescope have
done an excellent job - the scanning and listing of each map sheet are of
very high quality, and every effort has been made to safeguard the maps
while they were removed from the collection. This has been an admirable
example of how co-operation with a commercial company can be used to enhance
our role as curators."

About Sitescope
Sitescope is the leading UK based Internet environmental and property
information services provider. Supplying the residential and commercial
property sectors, Sitescope has developed a range of Internet solutions and
has built one of the largest databases of location specific environmental
information databases in Europe.

Sitescope's www.sitescope.co.uk service, provides instant environmental and
property information to the UK commercial property sector. Offering
immediate access to a huge range of environmental and property information,
Sitescope is fully configurable and provides a wide range of reports.

Sitescope's www.homecheck.co.uk service, provides instant environmental and
property information to the UK residential property market. As well as
providing free-to-view services to consumers, Homecheck will be offering a
range of pay-per-view services to property professionals.

Sitescope's forthcoming www.cartostore.com service will provide instant
access to large-scale mapping, satellite imagery and aerial photography. In
addition Cartostore will provide a wide range of data sets which can be
downloaded in seconds. Cartostore will be a one-stop-shop for mapping and
geographic data sets designed to meet the needs of property, construction
and environmental professionals.

For more information about Sitescope call +44 (0)870 606 1700, or visit the
corporate web site at www.sitescope.co.uk  or email [log in to unmask] .

For more information about the Royal Geographical Society (with IBG) please
visit www.rgs.org or email [log in to unmask]