From:
Date:
Thu, 28 May 1998 11:43:31 EDT
3 messages.-------Johnnie

Paige Andrew wrote:

> Largest or longest?? I'll guess the Willamette River in Oregon although I
> don't think it is longer than the Red...
>
> Paige Andrew
>
> At 03:37 PM 5/27/98 -0400, you wrote:

I mostly lurk and read (as a cataloger)at this site, but re. this
question (however defined):  how about the Snake? It runs north at least
on part of its course, like Hell's Canyon.

>From: HelenJane Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: RE: trivia question
>Date: Wed, 27 May 1998 17:53:31 -0400

The question about the largest river in the US to flow north really
opens up a huge can of fishing worms.  In addition to the relevant
questions listed below, there are a number of other factors which could
affect which river is considered the largest.  For instance, a number of
sources list the Saint Johns River in Florida as the largest river
flowing north.  The emphasis here being on the stream  flowing
"directly" north until the last few miles.  No NW or NE directions are
used in describing this river!  Also it is pointed out that it is
entirely within the United States and not on the border like so many
other rivers like the St. Lawrence.   Of course the 285 mile river flows
through several lakes before it reaches the ocean but the die-hards do
not consider that to be significant.  By the way the Oxford Atlas of the
World does not even list the Saint Johns in its "World Statistics
Physical Dimensions: Rivers."

 Any one who has played Trivial Pursuit Genesis Ed. probably remembers
the tricky question about the largest lake within the US.  This always
causes problems for those wanting to use one of the Great Lakes
"between" Canada and the US. Sorry to muddy the waters further but until
"largest" is defined I think there is no one single answer.

Helen

HelenJane Armstrong, PhD
Head, Map & Imagery Library
George A. Smathers Library
University of Florida
PO Box 117011
Gainesville, Florida 32611-7011
EMAIL: [log in to unmask]

Connie Manson wrote:

> Folks--
>
>         What is the largest U.S. river to flow north?  Apparently, it's
> neither the Red River (my guess), nor the Yukon River in Alaska.
>
>         -- Connie Manson

  The St. John River in Florida.

Kurt Dikkers
St. Louis, MO area