From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
HelenJane Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 12:40:44 -0500
This request was forwarded to me from the Head of our Judaica Library
requesting my assistance for the scholar’s research.  It has already been
sent to Jewish Studies LISTSERVs.  However, it seems the natural type of
question for members of MAPS-L.  Please send your messages directly to
Professor Rubin as I am simply forwarding his request and he is not a member
of MAPS-L.

Having said that, I am hoping any suggestions and comments might be shared
with the members of MAPS-L.  At the University of Florida, we have an
extensive collection of rare and modern maps of the Holy Land so it is a
subject in which we are interested.  I have not had an opportunity to pursue
this facet of Holy Land mapping so am curious to see what resources are
available.

Thank you for your assistance.  Please forgive any cross-posting to other
LISTSERVs.
Helen

HelenJane Armstrong
Head, Map & Imagery Library
University of Florida
PO Box 117011
Gainesville, FL 32611-7011
Phone: 352-392-2828

Dear Sir, Madame,
I am a professor at the Department of Geography, Hebrew University of
Jerusalem, Israel. We send this letter asking for help in gathering
information about models and three dimensional maps of Israel (Palestine,
the Holy Land etc.), Jerusalem, and its monuments.
Such models (including three dimensional maps, and other objects),
representing the City of Jerusalem and its monuments (e.x. the Church of the
Holy Sepulchre, the Dome of the Rock etc.) were made and distributed all
over Europe from the fifteenth or early sixteenth century and until today.
Several such models have been studied by us in the past and we are engaged
now in a large scale research projects which aims to collect information on
as many more models as possible.
We are asking now for your help in locating such models, or evidence of any
kind (documents, articles, books, photographs) about them. We will be
grateful for any kind of information, reference etc. which is known to you
or to the people in your institution.
Moreover, we will highly appreciate your help if you will distribute this
letter among other libraries, museums and collections, which we might not
know off.
Thank you very much for your cooperation.
Sincerely
Professor Rehav Rubin
Department of Geography
Hebrew University of Jerusalem