From:
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 1997 12:50:43 EDT
2 messages.------------------------Johnnie

>Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 21:27:06 -0900 (PDT)
>From: Chris Kollen <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Innopac

The University of Arizona Library uses Innopac.  We have about 250,000
sheet maps.  We have been using OCLC for cataloging since 1976 so have
used USMARC.  We use maps format for doing map cataloging.  As far as I
know, there is no listserv for map cataloging in Innopac.

If you have any more specific questions, please feel free to contact me
directly.

Chris Kollen

*********************************
*Chris Kollen                   *
*University of Arizona Library  *
*1510 E University              *
*Tucson, AZ   85720-0055        *
*(520) 621-2597                 *
*********************************
On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Johnnie D. Sutherland wrote:

> This message is from Eve Tang.------------------------------Johnnie

> >Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 13:47:34 +0200 (EET)
> >From: Eve Tang <[log in to unmask]>
> >Subject: Innopac
>

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> The National Library of Estonia is in the process of implementing the
> Innopac. Our library has chosen USMARC. We have received the Innopac demo,
> but it does not show much.
>
> Actual cataloguing in USMARC will begin only in late August, but we must
> fill out the worksheets with our suggestions and send them to Innopac
> corp. before the end of May. Therefore I thought it would be useful to
> know more before the cataloguing begins.
>
> I was wondering if
> 1. there are any other map libraries using Innopac?
> 2. there is any special material for describing maps in USMARC?
> 3. special mailing lists exist for Innopac map cataloguers?
>
> Any good suggestions would be very welcome.
>

> Eve Tang
> Map Librarian
> Cartography Section of the Fine Arts Dept.
> T=F6nism=E4gi 2
> Tallinn EE0100
> ESTONIA

>Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 11:42:57 -0400
>From: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: Innopac

     We at the New York Public Library are using INNOPAC as our online
     public catalog.  We catalog our maps in OCLC, and then the records are
     passed into our INNOPAC system, locally called CATNYP.  At the time
     the library changed over to the INNOPAC system, some "mapping" of
     fields was done, to make sure that all the necessary MARC fields were
     covered by INNOPAC fields and indexed properly.

     I hope someone else will respond to correct me if I am wrong, but I
     believe all the MARC documents relating specifically to maps were
     produced in the 1970s, with the implementation of the MARC system
     (e.g., "Maps, a MARC format," 1970), with some international
     applications being published more recently (e.g., "Cartographic
     materials in UNIMARC," 1979).  I can send you these and other
     citations.  Now we use the integrated manual for all formats,
     including maps, "USMARC format for bibliographic data including
     guidelines for content designation,"  1994 ed., prepared by Network
     Development and MARC Standards Office (Washington, DC, Cataloging
     Distribution Service, Library of Congress).  And we also use the OCLC
     manual to show how MARC applies to OCLC, "Bibliographic formats and
     standards," 2nd ed. (Dublin, Ohio, OCLC, 1996).

     I don't believe there is a special mailing list for INNOPAC map
     catalogers, but perhaps there should be.  Some problems still exist in
     using INNOPAC for maps, that maybe we could deal with better together.
     Someone else, I believe, a while back, wrote in to MAPS-L about the
     problem of displaying degrees, minutes, and seconds in INNOPAC
     records.  And it would be desirable if more map elements could be
     indexed or used as limiting features in searching.  Perhaps some of
     these problems have been solved locally, where the further customizing
     of the system for map elements has been made a priority.

     I think there are a few other map catalogers out there working with
     INNOPAC who will respond.  If I can be of further assistance, please
     let me know.

     Nancy Kandoian
     Map Division
     New York Public Library