From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 May 2011 08:23:41 -0500
Subject: understanding celestial charts for scale and cataloging
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 17:37:19 -0400
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]

Can any Maps-L subscribers recommend a good website (or book!) that would
help me understand better the interpretation of celestial charts?  In
particular, I want to understand better the concept of angular scale, and
the possibility of approximating a chart's angular scale if it's not
specified.  I need to learn more about this as part of adapting
Cartographic Materials rules for the manual on Descriptive Cataloging of
Rare Materials (Cartographic), and I have not actually cataloged any
celestial charts myself.  Are there any catalogers out there who are
experienced at AACR2/MARC cataloging of celestial charts?

Nancy A. Kandoian
Map Cataloger
The Lionel Pincus and Princess Firyal Map Division
Stephen A. Schwarzman Building
The New York Public Library
5th Ave. & 42nd St.
New York, NY  10018-2788