From:
Mary Anne Waltz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1993 15:02:23 EST
This semester we finally installed a CD-ROM workstation for several map/
graphics resources.  We have had nothing but problems since.  I am ready to
pull these titles unless we can find some solutions.

The problem seems to be (my technical support person tells me) due to the fact
that we have to run Windows for products such as MapExpert.  He cannot find a
program manager/menuing front-end application that effectively locks out the
"mischevous" user.  We have no problems with our other 3 DOS workstations that
do not use Windows, nor with our public Mac.  But we have weekly to daily
situations in which we find some one has locked US out of the software, or
added his/her own programs, or even loaded a game or two to play.

How are other libraries handling this?  Can any one recommend an application
that WORKS?  We have a 486 IBM with a Pioneer 6-drive player.

Thanks for any assistance you can supply.

Mary Anne Waltz
Head, Maps and Government Information Dept.
Syracuse University Library
Syracuse, NY  13244-2010
internet   [log in to unmask]
bitnet     [log in to unmask]