Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2007 14:42:42 -0500
Subject:        NOAA’s On-Line Chart Viewer - what do people think of this?
Date:   Thu, 04 Oct 2007 15:40:38 -0400
From:   John A Stevenson <[log in to unmask]>
To:     MAPS-L <[log in to unmask]>

Two recent GPO bibliographic records include URLs linking to an On-Line
Chart Viewer. Until recently, I was unaware that the NOAA website offers
"up-to-date charts you can view on the Internet."
http://ocsdata.ncd.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/

The online charts I've seen appear to be good for browsing (one can view
a tiny area closely) and may answer some questions without the need to
pull a chart.

The site has a caveat "NOTE: Use the official, full scale NOAA nautical
chart for real navigation whenever possible.  These are available from
authorized NOAA nautical chart sales agents.  Screen captures of the
on-line viewable charts available here do NOT fulfill chart carriage
requirements for regulated commercial vessels under Titles 33 and 46 of
the Code of Federal Regulations."

Are map libraries using these, and if so, are there were any instances
(other than the navigation issues) where they shouldn't be used? Thanks
for any feedback on these that folks may provide.

John A. Stevenson
Coordinator, Government Documents and Maps Processing Unit
University of Delaware Library
181 S. College Ave.
Newark, DE 19717-5267
302 831-8671