From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
tony campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Jun 2002 11:53:51 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 19:16:25 +0100
From: tony campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Newsletters relating to the History of Cartography
Sender: tony campbell <[log in to unmask]>

[posted to carta, carto-soc, liber gdc, lismaps, maphist, maps-l - please
excuse duplication]

Please take a look at the latest page on the 'Map History' site: -

Newsletters relating to the History of Cartography (institutions and
societies)
< http://ihr.sas.ac.uk/maps/newsletters.html >.

Forty-five titles are listed.  Some are well known, some obscure.  A number
are also concerned with current cartography, which is why this message is
copied to Maps-L.

The intention is to make people aware that these newsletters exist; to
highlight the sometimes surprising value of their content; to identify those
which are freely available (a number are now online); and to urge research
and university libraries to acquire them systematically as research aids.

The page's 'Introduction' also suggests various possible courses of action,
designed to improve the present situation where much valuable material
misses a large part of its potential audience.  Perhaps there might be a
discussion of these issues, most appropriately on the MapHist list, or by
sending a personal response to me.

I am very grateful to those who have kindly supplied me with information.
Please correct anything I may have got wrong, or provide additional details
where appropriate.

Inevitably, some relevant titles have been missed.  This will probably apply
most to newsletters from non-English-speaking parts of the world.  I would
particularly appreciate being sent details of those.  This listing is
intended to be truly global.

I would also be grateful if future changes were notified to me, so that I
can update the page.

Thank you

Tony Campbell

'Map History / History of Cartography: THE Gateway to the Subject'
http://ihr.sas.ac.uk/maps

--- End Forwarded Message ---