From:
Date:
Wed, 15 Jun 2011 12:29:02 -0500
Subject: RE:Gazeteers - how important?
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 10:27:36 -0700
From: Diaz, Carlos <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>

Well, a gazetteer from the Soviet Union would be valuable since the
geographic names would have changed due to end of the Cold War.  You
might want to retain eastern Europe gazetteers, as well as, Africa
gazetteers since name changes occur quite a bit in that part of the
world.  Anywhere, where there has been political instability that
affects geographic names would be good to retain for historical purposes.

For example:  Leningrad (Soviet Union) brought back its old name (St.
Petersburg, Russia).

Anybody doing research of eastern Europe would want that kind of
information including genealogists.

Carlos A. Diaz
Daniel J. Evans Library
The Evergreen State College