From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 09:49:59 -0400
--- Begin Forwarded Message ---
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 19:32:35 -0400
From: ahudson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: HelenJane Armstrong honored by Special Libs Assn
Sender: ahudson <[log in to unmask]>

     It is a pleasure to announce that at its June 2000 conference, the
     Geography and Map Division of the Special Libraries Association,
     bestowed its honors award on HelenJane Armstrong, Ph.D., Head of the
     Map & Imagery Library of the University of Florida. Following is the
     text of the proclamation accompanying the award:

     Special Libraries Association

      Geography  & Map Division

     HONORS AWARD

     The Division Honors Award is presented to a person who has made
     outstanding contributions to the fields of geography, cartography and
     map librarianship. Our honoree has accomplished much in all three
     areas. The award may be made for specific activities or continued
     outstanding service. Our honoree has many specific activities to
     choose from, adding up to continued service to the field of map
     librarianship, from the era of lone map collections distanced in miles
     from colleagues, to networked, electronic collections on-line and
     accessible across numerous boundaries. Our honoree has moved from the
     era of paper maps and aerial photography to the era of vapor maps and
     satellite photography and digital imagery -- not to mention GIS,
     metadata and consortias of catalogers.

     Our honoree is an innovator, an administrator, an author, a mentor, a
     colleague and friend. She is the first to design and install compact
     shelving for map cases. She is one of very few map librarians with a
     Ph. D.,  in physical geography and biotic resources. She has designed
     or established map libraries, including the National Geographic
     Society map library in Washington, D.C. in 1963-5; Northern Illinois
     University Map Library, DeKalb, 1965-71; and the University of Florida
     Map Library, now the Map & Imagery Library!, 1973 to the present. [She
     is still working on getting that one just right!]   She administers
     one of the strongest map collections in the South, seeing that
     collection grow tremendously over the decades, and move from paper to
     electronic media with skill and good design sense. While the newest
     technology may attract her, she has not ignored the beauty and
     research value of antiquarian maps as intellectual tools. She has
     published numerous articles in professional journals, including recent
     award winners, on cataloging, particularly of remote sensing.  She has
     graciously taught generations of students the arcanery of maps, aerial
     photography and GIS. She has shared generously of her time and talent
     with her colleagues, participating in the leadership of professional
     map library membership associations. In addition, on a regional basis
     she has led the Committee on Southern Map Libraries, and in the State
     of Florida, promotes the use of the University of Florida collections
     from the student, to the citizen next door, to the Statehouse. Not the
     least, she has been a friend and colleague and mentor to all of us in
     this room, and for that, we proudly honor today, for a lifetime of
     service to map librarianship,  Dr. HelenJane Armstrong,
     Head, Map & Imagery Library at the University of Florida, Gainesville.

     Alice C. Hudson, Chair / Mary Galneder / Paige Andrew
     Honors Award Committee

     Special Libraries Association Annual Conference, Philadelphia, Pa.,
     June 12, 2000

     The award was also accompanied by an 8' scroll, single spaced, listing
     all her map library activities over the years! We did not offer to pay
     for framing it...

     Congratulations, Helen, for many jobs well done!

     On behalf of the Honors Award committee,
     Alice C. Hudson
     Chief, Map Division, NYPL
--- End Forwarded Message ---