From:
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 15:06:15 -0500
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Large size Scanners]
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 15:23:41 -0800 (Pacific Standard Time)
From: Juliet Sweetkind-Singer <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
CC: Maps-L <[log in to unmask]>

------------------
Hi David,

We purchased a large format feed-through scanner from Ideal.com about a
year
ago.  We've been very happy with it.  It can scan maps up to 40 inches
wide at
resolutions between 50 and 600 dpi in full color, black and white, or
grayscale.  You can save the output in many formats.  The scanner is
actually
made by Contex.

Here's the Ideal web page that offers the scanner closest to our specs:
http://www.ideal.com/prods/detail.asp?id=514

Looks like it's been upgraded a bit since we bought ours.  I would
recommend
this scanner if you are going to scan things that are not especially
fragile.
Because it is a feed-through scanner, you can rip things if there are
existing
tears in the paper.  This has only happened a couple of times.  We now
put
those items we can't repair first into a mylar sleeve before scanning
and that
seems to work well.

Write me directly if you have more questions,

Julie

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003 15:00:57 -0500 "Johnnie D. Sutherland"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> [...]

Julie Sweetkind-Singer
GIS & Map Librarian
Branner Earth Sciences Library & Map Collections
397 Panama Mall, M/C 2211
Stanford University
Stanford, CA 94305