From:
DEBBIE LORDS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jul 1993 11:29:25 EDT
Mary,
     I can answer your questions about the cataloging realm.

1.  The best classification scheme is LC's G classification schedule.  It
breaks the world into geographical areas.  Its major drawback (and
simultaneously one of its strengths) is that it works based on place names.
This makes "white out" products a primary tool on map librarian's shelves.
This schedule also allows you to indicate a subject in addition to the
geographical area.  LC's G schedule is highly pattern oriented and relatively
easy to learn (personal experience).

2.   We use three primary references for cataloging:

     A. Cartographic materials published by ALA
     B. Map cataloging manual available from Library of Congress
     C. Map librarianship by Mary Larsgaard (who is also on maps-l).  This is
an EXCELLENT text covering many topics in a highly readable style.  It is
very helpful in learning the G schedule details for subject breakdown of the
geographical areas.

3.   Another important source available is Maps-L.

Debbie Lords
Marriott Library
University of Utah
Salt Lake City, UT  84119