From:
Dennis McClendon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 1995 12:47:37 EST
Writes Joan Winearls, Univ of Toronto Map Library

>I absolutely second alice hudson's response to the question from the M.A.
>student P. Blanchard. We seem to be getting more and more completely open
>requests for information that should be being handled in the local Map Library.

I must say that this seems like exactly the kind of inquiry that electronic
bulletin boards are useful for: benefiting from the collective memory of
hundreds of experts.  Those who have nothing to add need only move on to
the next message.

But reflect a moment on the nature of this inquiry.  How would you go about
researching such a thing in the typical map library?  Once you had rounded
up the three or four examples cited in Monmonier's book, where would you
even start?  Since most map libraries are closed-drawer, your only access
is through the catalog, which won't even hint at the particular attribute
this student is looking for.  Most examples are probably magazine, book, or
newspaper maps, which won't even be cataloged separately anyway.  Putting a
public inquiry to people who have seen many thousands of maps seems like a
much more practical method.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics     [log in to unmask]