From:
"Angie Cope, AGSL" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:02:00 -0600
MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L ** MAPS-L

Subject:        RE: MAPS-L: Nazi-stamped maps
Date:   Wed, 30 Nov 2005
From:   Carlucci, April <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Michael and everyone

Here at the British Library Map Collections we have so many of these that I don't think we'd call them rare or valuable, but of course they are and I would certainly consider removing them from an open access collection.

We received these as donations from the UK Ministry of Defence (previously called the War Office) which graciously donates a great deal of mapping to the BL as well as other public and university collections in Britain. My understanding is that when the Allied Powers were liberating Europe in the Second World War, they 'liberated' resources they came upon which were felt to be of strategic importance. Obviously, maps of of considerable strategic importance. Exactly how the British and American (and Soviet?) forces divided up the spoils in probably lost in the mists of time.

We have quite a bit of material, both maps and supporting documentation, with eagles grasping swastikas in our collection. Examples include mapping (Central European countries for the most part) drawn and published by the mapmakers of the Third Reich; mapping taken from other sources which was overprinted or annotated with information important to the Axis powers (for instance, Ordnance Survey mapping of British cities overprinted with locations of industries, military installations, government buildings, transport network, and--my favourite--breweries); and extensive documents listing all the available native, commercial and Reich mapping for countries the Reich was planning to 'visit.'

It is a fascinating part of 20th century cartographic history which is already coming into its own as an important source for the study of historical military mapping. You can consult our catalogue at www.bl.uk/catalogue.

I would be interested to know if anyone on the list has any thoughts or information about the copyright on this material. Until recently we were under the impression that the copyright resided with the Third Reich and as this entity no longer exists the copyright was no longer valid. However, we have noticed lately some examples of this material being used as illustrations and the German government being credited. Any thoughts?

Regards,
April

April Carlucci
Cataloguing Manager and Curator of Modern Maps
British Library Map Collections