From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2010 10:49:44 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From: Geoff Forbes [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 2010 1:05 PM
To: 'Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship'
Subject: RE: Lying Maps

Dear Christopher, Robert, et al:

It is interesting analyzing some of these "lying maps."  I recall studying a
Soviet topographic map on which a railroad led from a city center, several
kilometers away into the middle of nowhere and then it abruptly stopped.  It
doesn't require an imagery analyst to deduce that there is probably a
military airfield or some such installation there.  Interestingly, it's
quite possible for this type of paranoia to backfire on the country of
origin.  Some large-scale maps have so many void areas, that it would be a
very quick and easy task for an adversary to create a vector layer from them
called "voids" which could be treated as "possible military targets".  No
wonder this practice is typically avoided by the West.  USGS maps usually
depict military installations, but simply avoid including street-level
detail.

Best regards,

Geoff

Geoffrey A. Forbes, M.S.