From:
Johnnie Sutherland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 16:42:03 -0500
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 10:56:32 -0800
From: Vladimir V. Waldin <[log in to unmask]>

Subject: MAPS-L listing correction!

Hello colleagues,

This is Discus Media cartographers from Saint Petersburg.

I've got known that we had been included to the MAPS-L listing as a
distributor of Soviet/Russian topographical maps. This seems being
rather serious mistake. The company does not provide anybody with
military maps as this is forbidden by the current Russian legislation!

The titles we are dealing with are only those ones that had been
derived from different topographical maps for open sales at the
market, nothing to deal with military sources. These maps could
however been published by both military and civilian (state-owned and
private) companies, but they are open source maps only for sales in
bookshops, etc.

The company operates an Internet web shop www.globusov.net, which is
not set to regular operation yet due to absence of some necessary
utilities. The system is to be re-launched in some current months with
updated map collection and new software. The collection presented
there now is rather old (May 2002), some titles may be out of print,
some new titles are not published there yet.

In general, the principal company's business is thematic map
publishing (please ref. to www.mapserv.com) and differently compiled
collections of historical maps (www.discusmedia.com) as well as
intelligent cartographic systems for Internet, PDA-Palm computers,
etc. At the very nearest future, we are starting working with online
sales of Russian maritime navigational charts (website
www.navigation.ru launches next year 2003 February).

Please change the information about us in the listing as the current
one seems to be really wrong (I cannot get to the list to check what
is written inside as I do not have a password).

Thank you for the cooperation and understanding!

--
Best regards,
Vladimir Waldin                         mailto:[log in to unmask]