From:
Barbara Farrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 1994 16:48:47 EST
Just want to relate a recent discovery that may make a difference if you
plan to use the printer with the new TIGER/Line files.  The Landview
software that comes on the TIGER CD's doesn't support Postscript or HP Plotter
emulations.  We have an IBM (Lexmark) PS 4079 color printer and can't use it
with Landview.  The printer works fine with most Windows applications, e.g.
Arcview and MapExpert, but not Landview.   -- Gwen Curtis, Map Collection,
University of Ky. Libraries, Lexington, KY ([log in to unmask])
Does anyone have experience with printers that will help me make a
decision between the two following options for a printer for a Map
Library digital workstation (486/CD-ROM)? We have a strictly limited
budget and an urgent time frame.
Following email recommendations (I think it was Maps-L) I asked for a
Hewlett Packard ink jet 1200C Postscript.
It has 4 meg RAM expandable to 26. 600x300dpi in black and white, 300dpi
colour. It has come in over budget and I am being told that in any case
it will be EXCRUCIATINGLY SLOW for our mapping purposes.
I am being offered instead a
Lexmark (IBM subsidiary) 4039-10R Laser Printer with enhanced graphics
processing (PQET, Picture Grade). Postscript. 600 dpi with built in 39
postscript fonts, 13 scaleable and 14 bitmapped. 4 meg RAM expandable to
16meg. Prints text at 10pages/minute. But it is only black/white.
Should I sacrifice colour for speed? Ink jet for Laser? Has anyone
experienced frustrations with the Hewlet Packard?
Many thanks for any thoughts you can offer.
[log in to unmask]  Tel:613 788 2600 ext 2515.  Fax:613 788 3909
Map Library, D299 Loeb Building, Carleton University, Ottawa, Ont. K1S5B6