From:
J Fieber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 1993 10:18:17 EST
> To me GIS or spatial data literacy implies having a computer, software and
> knowledge.  These users have access to a lot more information, but they
> need to know what and how to use it.  The problem is, that these users are
> not necessarily as literate as I had assumed.  In fact, as "non-GIS" people
> start using the data, those economists, real estate, sociologists and so on,
> they need a lot of help.  So, though they have the computer, software and
> application knowledge, how raw can the data be; or do we have a responsibility
> to cook it a little.

Another way to look at GIS is comparing it to a piece of advanced
laboratory equipment.  I really think a GIS system has much more in
common with, say, an electron microscope than a bibliographic
database.  Maybe GIS use should be taught in the laboratory by
professors instead of in the library by librarians?  With this
approach, the library provides a basic system suitable for
locating and maybe some quick-and-dirty previewing of data which
the patron then takes to their lab to actually use.

Naturally, in small specialized technical libraries the line
between the library and the lab may shift a little.

> For example, the DOQs for Connecticut probably need to be stored on the
> server in compressed as well as expanded mode.  The library might need

Hmmm.  I just counted up CT and found 120 7.5' quads.  The DOQ's
are 3.25' so that makes 480.  Multply by 50 megabytes per
expanded 3.25' quad makes 24,000 megabytes.  Large disks can be
had for around $0.85/meg so that comes to about $20,000.  I think
you would be much better off putting more money into CPU power and
uncompressing on demand.

> to devise ways of "clipping" that portion of the image the user needs, or
> joining and clipping when soil and vegetation types don't cooperate with
> our county lines.  We probably have a responsibility to supply the user
> with what they need, not just with what we have.  We either need to supply
> the data in appropriate format or supply a graphics converter.

When a student comes in with a paper topic, I don't typically sit
down with PsychLIT and print them out a list of relevant articles
(what they need).  Rather, I show them the database (what we
have) and give some starting tips on how to begin a search.

We have to identify where providing information stops and
performing research begins.  With respect to GIS, I think that
line is pretty poorly defined at this point.

*Personally*, I'd love to have a fully equipped GIS lab here in
the library where I work.  I'm a computer junkie at heart. :)
However I think it is somewhat tangential to the main mission of
the library.

-john