From:
Date:
Fri, 12 Apr 2013 13:48:29 -0500
Subject: RE: trim or fold?
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 19:42:00 +0100
From: Francis Herbet <[log in to unmask]>
To: 'Maps, Air Photo, GIS Forum - Map Librarianship'

Jon Jablonski:

Two obvious possibilities:-

'PRO-TRIM': If they are all indubitably identical, trim off marginalia of
all sheets save for one as a 'reference' copy: this permits your "2
side-by-side stacks in the drawer" option.

'ANTI-TRIM': If, after "at least another 10 - 15 years", you wish to
(legally) 'free' them for donation or sale, and every sheet but one lacks
its marginalia, takers may be few and far between (even worse if the
thinking will be to break up the seats to individual 'homes' or purchasers)
- unless copies of the unique surviving marginalia come with the trimmed
sheets. Of course, the internet might supply this trimmed-off info . . .

Francis Herbert (former Curator [and trimmer (but I didn't start the trend
at RGS!)] of multi-sheet map/chart series, Royal Geographical Society-IBG)