From:
Maps-L Moderator <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 2009 14:15:28 -0600
Subject:        RE: Re: OSS maps
Date:   Mon, 9 Nov 2009 14:08:53 -0600
From:   John M Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
To:     <[log in to unmask]>

Hello All,

I've been researching OSS for several years, interrupted by hurricanes
and other events, and trying to write a book on them.

In answer to Cheiko's question, OSS maps in the National Archives in
Record Group 226 are the maps produced by the OSS.  However, many of the
OSS-produced maps were based on foreign produced maps and there are many
captured enemy maps with stamps from the OSS Map Division on them.  So
one may want to distinguish between OSS produced and OSS stamped or
associated maps.

OSS produced maps will have "OSS", "Office of Strategic Services", or
the predecessor agency "COI" or "Coordinator of Information" printed
below the edge of the map field.  Also, "IRIS" may be printed below the
edge of the map field.  These maps were made by OSS cartographers after
their section was transferred to the State Department when the OSS was
disbanded.

The LSU Cartographic Information Center has 538 OSS maps which, based on
searching WorldCat, seems to be representative of a core group of OSS
maps that may have been distributed to libraries through the AMS after
World War Two.  I have been through the National Archives holdings three
times and have identified 6302 OSS maps in their holdings and I have
photocopies or digital camera images of all of the NARA OSS maps in RG
226 in the Architectural and Cartographic Branch and a few found in the
text and microfilm holdings.

If anybody has any questions about OSS maps, other than when will the
book be finished, I would be happy to answer them.

John

John M. Anderson
Map Librarian and Director
Cartographic Information Center