From:
Angie Cope <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2008 12:02:42 -0600
Subject:        RE: cataloging facsimiles of early maps
Date:   Wed, 23 Jan 2008 12:36:27 -0500
From:   Thomas, Leah (LVA) <[log in to unmask]>
To:     Maps, Air Photo & Geospatial Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Hi Joel,

What we've decided to do at LVA is to catalog facsimiles at a local
level that we do not have the originals for. We are doing this to let
staff know what we have as well as the "local" user. I know a facsimile
can be a poor image, but it's still a representation, and all we've got
at times. If the user wants to see the original, we can possibly locate
another institution with the original; of course, the user would be
referred there. If there's a digital image of the map available, we
include the link to it in the record.

As for WorldCat, or OCLC, we only add facsimiles that really are
facsimiles according to the rules established by AACR2 and Cartographic
Materials, meaning printed. Anything else that is reproduced by a
photographic method is considered a photocopy (a photoreproduction). A
facsimile (printed) is a different printing of a map, for this reason it
is cataloged separately. Many times facsimiles are published as well. As
for a photocopy, we only enter other methods of photocopies other than
photostats, xerox, and inkjets. For example, if we don't have the
original for a map, but we do have the blueprint for it, or say a Civil
War map that is a sun print (photocopy), we will put this record into
WorldCat.

As far as digital images go, we will include the links to these
regardless of whether or not the bibliographic record is for a
facsimile/photocopy or original just to give staff and users a visual
image. Loading a record for an electronic image of a map into WorldCat
is very useful for other users. For example, the David Rumsey collection
has been invaluable to me in cataloging hardcopies of maps for many
reasons.

Our rationale for going this route is to let users know what we have. We
didn't see any point in cataloging every photocopy that is a duplication
of what we already have at the local level or in OCLC, but what might be
unique and useful.

I hope this helps, and I hope I was able to cover some of your
questions.

Best,

Leah

Leah M. Thomas