From:
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1993 15:24:21 EDT
Here are two messages on CD platforms for atlases.-------Johnnie

              Sat, 01 May 93 16:38:56 PDT
              Dave Gomberg <GOMBERG@UCSFVM>
              Re: CD-ROM Atlas Platform

Gee, Duane, I suspect some kind of hardware problem in your configurations!
I have a Texel 3024 running under OS/2 and it is almost indistinguishable
in speed from a hard disk because of the read-ahead and buffering.  If
you would like to send me some kind of benchmark to run, I would gladly
do so, but I would advise running directly off the ROM with a proper
configuration (enough memory, adequate operating system support, etc.).
Please advise more details on your performance problems.  Thanks.  Dave

Dave Gomberg, role model for those who don't ask much in their fantasy lives.
GOMBERG@UCSFVM  Internet node UCSFVM.UCSF.EDU             fax-> (415)731-7797

      03 May 1993 12:13:36 -0700 (PDT)
      Jim O'Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
         Re:  CD-ROM Atlas Platform

I would suggest that you go with a 486 processor, and at least a 200
megabyte hard disk, plus 6 or 8 megabytes of RAM.  The atlas software
I've seen is really faster if you have the processor and ram, plus
several of the titles I have work much faster if you can load significant
amounts of indexing onto the hard disk, which can take up lots of space
right away.  Also, get DOS 6.0, which has built in file compression.

The platform you describe is way too narrow:  think broader and faster

                                Jim O'Donnell