From:
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 16:01:17 -0400
Subject: RE:      How to label map cases, drawer and folders?]
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 14:49:33 -0700
From: Diaz, Carlos <[log in to unmask]>
To: Maps and Air Photo Systems Forum <[log in to unmask]>

------------------

Michael,

Why haven't the maps been placed on the online catalog?  It will get a
lot more usage that way if they do so.

When I arrived at my current position, the recon for the government
documents collection had advanced as far as the L's in the paper
collection.  Since my arrival, the complete paper collection has been
reconned, the posters, CDs, the fiche and most of the maps collection
(we are still working on the topo. maps).

Usage for the entire collection has gone up from before.  Tech Services
was under the impression that the titles least used would be the
hearings.  As it turned out, it is the number one pubilcation being used
each month.  Uploading your collection onto the online catalog is a
must.  Will it take a long time to fully recon?  Yes it will, but
eventually it will get done.

As for labels:

        --for the topographic maps (Pacific Northwest states): there are
separated by state and within each state
                by the quadrangle name.  So the labels for the drawers have the
quadrangle names on it.  A... - C...

        --for wall maps: like the Dennoyer-Geppert, Klett-Perthes,
Rand-McNally, etc. we have labels divided by
                the LC subject headings.  (The maps are on boxes standing up).

        --for SuDocs and non-SuDocs maps: Forest Service, NOAA charts, USGS,
BLM, National Geographic, AAA, etc,
                they are on filing cabinets.  The label reads the first call number
for each drawer.  That way you don't
                have to be constantly updating it.

Of course we are a smaller collection that UMD, but it has worked for us
thus far.

But, the main finding aid to locating the maps is via the online
catalog.  You can't beat that one practical tool.
If the folks at UMD are still unwilling to load map records onto the
online catalog, then you might consider your own internal database via
Access or Excel or any other database software.

Carlos A. Diaz
Government Documents/Maps
The Evergreen State Colelge