From:
Date:
Thu, 24 Mar 1994 14:20:24 EST
4 messages.------------------Johnnie

      Thu Mar 24 12:17:59 EST 1994
         Re: Recent Sanborn maps

I believe the essay in the front of LC's red volume, can you tell I am not at
the desk where I can get my hands on it, answeres some of your questions. Real
Estate Data Inc bought out Sanborn, at least part of the firm. They still have
some operation in Pelham, NY, not sure what.

My understanding, based on a presentation given by a Sanborn man to SLA G&M at
their last conference in New York, and perhaps written up in the Bulletin?,
was that Sanborn pretty much no longer worked for insurance companies--but now
contracts out to governmental agencies. In New York, for example, Sanborn does
all the tax mapping for the City. The tax maps are those rather blank looking
maps on alternate pages in some Sanborns--they are maps of tax parcels, rather
than buildings.

Hope this helps and doesn't muddy the waters, so to speak.

It is inappropriate to continue using the term insurance maps, and we are
trying hard to break ourselves of the habit. We now call these property maps
and let it go at that. So cut it out! No, it just confuses the readers, and
even ourselves...because these are not created for insurance purposes now. The
insurance companies, as far as I know, no longer have money, or controlling
interest, in this type of mapping. Originally they did, establishing the
standards, the color coding, symols, etc.  Jean Ashton's article in Biblion,
vol. 1, no. 2, on Sanborn, might clarify this point. [Biblion is NYPL's
semi-annual journal.]

      Thu, 24 Mar 1994 09:30:52 -0800 (PST)
      Phil Hoehn <[log in to unmask]>
         Re: Recent Sanborn maps

My understanding is that Sanborn is updating their insurance maps on
request. For some cities they issue black and white updates (Manhattan,
San Francisco, etc.) at a fairly reasonable cost. I don't think any new
maps are being issued. The uniforn building codes apparently did away with
the need by insurance companies for fire insurance maps. -- Phil Hoehn

      Thu, 24 Mar 1994 12:56:08 -0400 (EDT)
         Re: Recent Sanborn maps

Sanborn Fire Insurance Company does indeed exist and continues to update
and produce maps for major metropolitan areas. They are in the process of
digitizing some of their data but it will probably take a considerable
amount of time. They also provide custom searches for specific areas in
metropolitan areas for anyone who wishes to "pay" for it.

David A. Cobb
Harvard Map Collection

              Thu, 24 Mar 94 13:32:24 EST
              Gwen Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
              Re: Recent Sanborn maps

I rec'd a letter from Sanborn in March of 1993 which states "We continue to
publish new editions of the maps for many cities on a regular basis."  I'd
suggest you contact Sanborn for more information at: Sanborn Mapping and
Geographic Information Service, 629 Fifth Ave., Pelham, NY 10803 (914-738-1649)

Gwen Curtis
Map Collection
Univ. of Ky. Libraries